Hello! It’s Jackie and Maria again. In our second episode of Becoming Mindful, we look into the history of mindfulness: where it came from, what paths did it take and what are examples of mindfulness practices around the world.
Which mindfulness practices have you heard of before? Which ones would you like to start doing? Please, let us know in the comments.
Show Notes & Links
- Mindfulness Historical Development: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mindfulness#Historical_development
- Sam Harris: Mindfulness is Powerful, But Keep Religion Out of It: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iwac6Uk-zyk
- Indigenous Mindfulness: An Extremely Brief Introduction by Catharine Hannay: http://www.mindfulteachers.org/2021/03/indigenous-mindfulness.html
- Root to Rise: Following the History of Mindfulness Back to its Source by Amy Leonard at Blinkist Magazine: https://www.blinkist.com/magazine/posts/history-of-mindfulness
- A Brief History of Mindfulness in the USA and Its Impact on Our Lives by Christopher Shea on PsychCentral: https://psychcentral.com/lib/a-brief-history-of-mindfulness-in-the-usa-and-its-impact-on-our-lives#1
- The mindfulness movement: How a Buddhist practice evolved into a scientific approach to life by Matthew Nisbet: https://web.northeastern.edu/matthewnisbet/2017/05/24/the-mindfulness-movement-how-a-buddhist-practice-evolved-into-a-scientific-approach-to-life/
- The Science Behind Mindfulness Meditation: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VTA0j8FfCvs&list=TLPQMTUwNjIwMjEOK1nYPG09eg&index=3
- The State of Mindfulness Science BY JEREMY ADAM SMITH, KIRA M. NEWMAN, JILL SUTTIE, HOORIA JAZAIERI: https://greatergood.berkeley.edu/article/item/the_state_of_mindfulness_science
- Meditation Programs for Psychological Stress and Well-being by Madhav Goyal, MD, MPH1; Sonal Singh, MD, MPH1; Erica M. S. Sibinga, MD, MHS2; et al https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jamainternalmedicine/fullarticle/1809754
- Mindfulness training and neural integration: differentiation of distinct streams of awareness and the cultivation of well-being by Dr. Dan Siegel: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2566758/
We are working on the transcript and will be uploading it in the next few days.